Saturday, February 4, 2017

Top three indie vegan perfumers

By Giselle Wedemire

Thanks to my beautiful mom and my effortlessly glamourous great-aunt, I developed a deep and abiding love for perfume at a very young age. As a wee preteen, I worshipped at the altar of body sprays, and in college I upgraded to finer eau de toilettes from Dolce & Gabbana, Viktor & Rolf, and Chloe.

When I became vegan nearly five years ago and focused on making the switch to green beauty products, I was sure that I’d have to settle for natural perfumes that I predicted could only smell like essential oils and patchouli. (No shade: I’d be the first to admit that I’m kind of a hippie at heart – mixed in with some Joan from Mad Men glam and a dash of Zoey Deschanel-esque whimsy. But just because I’m a hippie doesn’t mean I have to smell like one.)

Now, when it comes to vegan perfumes, it seems like everyone and their mom knows about – and reaches for – Pacifica. I feel that. After all, their Tibetan Mountain Temple fragrance makes me feel like I’m a badass yoga teacher.

But I’d like to invite you all to embrace your inner hipsters by broadening your fragrance horizons and supporting indie perfumers who put their heart and soul – along with more traditional fragrance notes, obvi – into each scent they create.

If you’re the type to go against the grain, here are three amazing indie perfumers that’ll leave you smelling glamourous, edgy, and sophisticated any time of the year. 


My vegan perfume collection as it currently stands.
Not pictured: the millions of sample vials I have from indie perfumers.




Based in Stratford, Ontario (that’s in Canada!), Grasse Roots is a small-batch artisanal company that specializes in all-natural perfumes. I had the pleasure of trying out each of Grasse Roots' fragrances and what I remember the most about that experience is that each scent is so natural and fresh-smelling that applying any of their seven perfume oils feels like you’re taking a leisurely, barefoot stroll in a lush garden.

If you’re feeling flirty and feminine, I suggest trying out Delicacy, which blends moss, patchouli, geranium, and tea for a romantic scent that’s soft and retro. If you’re feeling earthy and grounded, I recommend reaching for IngĂ©nue, which combines ylang ylang, grass, and Moroccan rose for a vibrant and boho chic scent that’ll leave you smelling like a Lush store (which, TBH, is one of my #lifegoals).

Fans of complex and inventive fragrances are bound to fall head-over-heels in love with Southern Comforts Fragrances. With scents inspired by the South, the strong Southern women in Southern Comforts founder Allison’s life, and acclaimed Broadway musical Hamilton, there are so many unique fragrances to choose from.

Scents range from the sexy and sultry – like the vegan honey-laced Woman Enough to Take My Man, and the whiskey and gardenia-enhanced Mama Tried – to the yummy – like the lemon and sweet tea-spiked Charlotte Sunshine and the decadent trio of blackberries, bourbon, and (vegan) cream found in Three Fundamental Truths.

Literature snobs and book worms take note: these perfumes are to die for. With signature fragrances that are modeled off of some of the most iconic British heroes and heroines in literature like Elizabeth Bennett and Jane Eyre, you can feel positively posh and romantic with just one spritz of perfume. (You can also indulge your high school daydreams and have your beau smell like Mr. Darcy or Heathcliff, if that's your scene.)

And what goes better with books than a nice cup of tea? Nothing! Fittingly, Ravens Court Apothecary also carries four tea-inspired perfumes – ranging from green tea to vanilla rooibos – so you can smell like a fresh cuppa any time you please without ever having to put the kettle on. 


What's your favourite vegan indie perfumer? Have you tried out any scents from these three perfumers? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment