Monday, August 24, 2015

It's a date: a roundup of YYC gluten-free date spots

By Casey Knoll

There are lots of decent dining options for gluten-free eats in Calgary. But when it comes to date night, finding a place where celiacs and their romantic partners can have a tasty -- and not just a “decent” -- gluten-free meal takes some digging. Here are some great date night (or morning) spots I've discovered so far, where I haven't just eaten, but inhaled the food I've ordered (because when I come across great gluten-free eats, my appetite goes into overdrive). 

The Dinner Date


Double Zero Pizza
Various locations
http://www.doublezeropizza.ca/

I've been to both Double Zero locations in Calgary (Chinook Mall and Stephen Avenue), and both are great choices for a date night. The interiors are modern, sleek, and with interesting lighting and art. But don't be fooled by its ambience -- the best part of the Double Zero experience is the pizza. You and your date will enjoy tucking into a variety of gourmet pizzas, which can be made with gluten-free crusts (which doesn't fall apart. That's kind of a big deal for me!)

A look at the interior of Double Zero's Chinook Mall location.
Photo via Double Zero Pizza Chinook Facebook page




Dairy Lane Cafe
319 19 St NW
http://www.dairylanecafe.ca/

Get there early because it fills up fast -- and for good reason! The food is unreal. I had their gluten-free Alberta Turkey burger and I demolished it in seconds. The bread was amazing, and it was simply burger bliss. This is a great place to go for a casual night out because it's quaint, the staff is friendly, and the atmosphere is relaxed. 


Murrieta's

200 808 1st St SW
http://www.murrietas.ca/

I hesitate to give this a recommendation only because I’ve been to the location in Canmore, not the one in Calgary. On a weekend getaway, my boyfriend and I went there for a fancier night out, and I had their gluten-free Sea Scallop Fettuccine. Let me just say that it was delicious.Tasty gluten-free pasta can be difficult to come by because it either falls apart or is overcooked, so this was an exciting find, and I definitely recommend this place for celiacs looking for a sophisticated night out. 

The Breakfast Date


Blue Star Diner*
809 1st Ave NE 
http://www.bluestardiner.ca/

Another busy spot, so get there early. They have lots of great gluten-free options such as their Albertan omelettes, granola, and the Triple Double (three eggs,  two sausages, and bacon). I tucked into the veggie omelette, and had a hard time digging myself out. They serve up big food portions, so make sure you and your date come ready with your appetites. 

The “Night In” Date


Avatara Pizza
3406 3rd Ave NW 

Whenever I've ordered from Avatara, I've opted for pick-up from their brick and mortar location on 3rd Avenue because it's close to where I live. However, on looking at their website, it looks like they do delivery.  Their toppings are unique (such as the Thai red curry sauce for their Buddha pizza), and their thin gluten-free crust is awesome. At first I was skeptical of their crusts, and I thought they would fall apart. However, I was surprised to find that not only do they hold together, but they are delicious -- not a sawdust after taste to be dejected. The restaurant front is small, but it's bright, airy, and inviting. My favourite thing to do is perch on their bar stools and watch the chefs make my pizza right in front of me. This could also be a fun way to spend time with your date while you wait for your take-out meal!

I’m still chomping through Calgary’s gluten-free food scene, so comment below or tweet us at @PickyBitchez if you’ve found hidden gems for your picky dates!


*These restaurants have both gluten-free and vegan options available on their regular menus, making them all-star Picky Bitchez date night spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment