Sunday, December 21, 2014

Scrumptious Shortbread

By Casey Knoll

I absolutely love Christmas baking -- it's a great way to have fun, and to create 
affordable gifts for your friends and family.

This year, my mom's friend introduced me to gluten-free shortbread. I was never a huge fan of shortbread, but this recipe changed my mind. It's quick, easy, and absolutely delicious.

My mom's friend found this recipe on a blog by Amanda Farquharson. If you give these a try, let us know! 


What you'll need:
3 cups white rice flour
1 cup corn starch
1 cup icing sugar
1 pound of salted butter, softened
Cherries or sparkles (optional)
What you'll need to do:
  • Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
  • Sift the dry ingredients together.
  • Cut the butter into quarters then halve again. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry mixture until you are able to form a ball of dough.
  • Dust a cool surface with rice flour and place the ball of dough on the flour. Knead until the edges crack.
  • Form golf ball sized balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. (I use a Silpat mat or parchment paper)
  • Press down with a fork and decorate with sparkles or candied cherries.Bake approx. 20 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment