Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gluten Free Expo Product Reviews

By Casey Knoll

The Gluten Free Expo, Canada's largest gluten-free event, came to Calgary on March 29 and 30. Giselle and I ventured down to the University of Calgary's Olympic Oval on March 30. To say the least, I acted like a kid in a candy store. There was complete sensory overload of gluten-free goodness.

I picked up lots of interesting products which I'm currently making my way through. Here's what I've chomped through so far:

Instant Gluten-free Soybean Noodle Soup
Explore Asian Authentic Cuisine

I'd never heard of Explore Asian Authentic Cuisine (which is what makes expos great -- you learn new things). I was immediately drawn to this new brand by their offerings of bean pasta -- especially since pasta is my weakness.

Although I was short on cash, I had $2 in my wallet, which allowed me to purchase one of their instant Soybean Noodle Soup bowls. 

As soon as I got home, I cracked it open to give it a try. 

Besides being gluten-free, I loved the simplicity of this product. Just boil up hot water, pour it in the bowl, let it set for 3-4 minutes, and voilĂ  -- your meal is ready.


 Also, I liked that salt was provided in a separate sachet, which allowed you allowed you to control the amount of sodium.

I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't more veggies in the flavoring sachets, and that the noodles were a bit tough. If I picked up this product again, i'd let the noodles set for a minute or two longer, and dig out some frozen peas/corn in my freezer and add them to the mix.

Quinoa Granola - Spiced Pumpkin Flavour
Lotus Fine Foods

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin, but have enjoyed this Quinoa Granola by Lotus Fine Foods. So far, I've tried it out in yogurt, and found it made for a light "zippy" snack. 


Giselle and I met Lotus Ellis, owner of Lotus Fine Foods, at the Expo -- she started her business because it was difficult to find gluten-free products for her daughter. I love hearing these types of stories --  it's very inspiring! 



Next Product to review:


Brown Sugar and Flax Oatmeal Cup 
Glutenfreeda

I'm excited to try this out...oatmeal is one of my favourite "comfort foods." And...the brown sugar doesn't hurt either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment