Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tasty vegan Timbits that failed horribly

By Giselle Wedemire

Since turning vegan two and a half years ago, I can safely say that there are only three things that I occasionally miss from my omnivorous days: Timbits/doughnut holes, Nutella, and peanut punch

I'm always on the lookout for ways to work around these infrequent cravings, so when I came across a recipe for vegan Timbits, I jumped at the chance to work some cruelty-free culinary magic.

The recipe itself was easy to follow and the warm smell of cinnamon and pumpkin that wafted through my house when these treats were baking was drool-inducing. Needless to say, my hopes for these bad boys were high.




However, when I sank my teeth into my first taste of these Timbits, I found myself feeling supremely let down. Why was I disappointed, you may ask? I'd be more than happy to enlighten you with this list of reasons (I'm picky, I know, but I think the title of this blog does its job of indicating that in the first place):

1. Despite following the recipe's instructions to a 'T', my Timbits turned out nothing like the photo that accompanied the online recipe. (Don't believe me? Check out the recipe photo in question and you'll see the difference) 

Instead of becoming doughy spheres of pure delight, my vegan Timbits came out looking like the mini-muffins you can buy 50 of in one tub at Costco. While these were no doubt delicious, I had my heart set on opening my oven to a replica of the infamous Tim Hortons treat.

2. The recipe advised that if bakers' Timbits didn't come out as round as they would have hoped (which was definitely my situation), the freshly baked dough should be rolled around in your palms as soon as it is removed from the oven. While this sounds great in theory, it's about as practical a suggestion as forming a ball of lava with your bare hands. Despite how illogical this suggestion was, I still attempted to comply with the recipe's advice and tried to form a more doughnut hole-ish shape with one of my burning hot mini-muffins. I ended up with both a smooshed  Timbit and the beginning of a blister on one palm.





Admittedly, these Timbits (or whatever they come out as when you try the recipe yourself) were moist and  flavourful, and I would definitely make this recipe again. Although next time, I will bake them with the intent of making (and expecting) actual, regular-sized muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment